Dating fort walton beach fl
The name "Anderson" is noted on maps from 1838 to 1884.
It was not until 1911 that the name "Camp Walton" appeared on Florida maps. George Walton, who served as secretary of West Florida during Andrew Jackson's governorship (1821-1822) and whose father, George Walton Sr., was the 56th signatory of the Declaration of Independence. Walton's influence in the politics of north-west Florida, his name was honored by establishing Walton County.
From time to time we would enter some inlet or cove that reached very far inland, but we found them all shallow and dangerous, and so we navigated through them for thirty days, meeting sometimes Indians who fished and were poor and wretched people".
The area is described at "40 deaths a day" in a Spanish map dated 1566.
Its busiest time of the year is the summer, causing a boost to the local economy because of seasonal human migration.
Prehistoric settlement of Fort Walton Beach is attributed to the mound building "Fort Walton Culture" that flourished from approximately 1100~1550 AD.
Early settlers of Walton County, Florida were the first to establish permanent settlements in what is now Fort Walton Beach (the area was originally named "Anderson").
One of the first settlers was John Anderson, who received land plots in 1838.
The United States Post Office changed the official name on their cancellations from Camp Walton to Fort Walton on 1 March 1932.
It was the most complex in the north-west Florida region.
The Fort Walton peoples put into practice mound building and intensive agriculture, made pottery in a variety of vessel shapes, and had hierarchical settlement patterns that reflected other Mississippian societies.
Tower Beach, named for a tall observation tower at the site which was later destroyed by a hurricane, had been an amusement area operated from 1928 by the Island Amusement Company by future-Fort Walton Beach mayor Thomas E.
Brooks, This 875-acre parcel of Santa Rosa Island with three miles of Gulf frontage was conveyed to Okaloosa County on July 8, 1950 in an informal ceremony at the county courthouse in Crestview, Florida.